Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Oil Cleansing Method







I've been reducing the toxins in our home more and more over the last 14 months, and we've made great strides in almost completely eliminating commercially (chemically) manufactured hygiene products, beauty products, and cleaning products (not to mention what has changed regarding our nutrition).

The first thing I did when I realized how toxic my world was just by using simple everyday products, was to switch my facial cleanser; after all, I had just read a cool article about the Oil Cleansing Method (OCV).  I used to use a very popular, easily accessible (found in every grocery store and drug store in America and beyond), and reasonably priced product.  Then I read the ingredients list.  Yikes.  It was long and scary, and I decided I didn't want that stuff soaking into my pores.

Yet, slathering oil all over my face seemed a little scary, too... or, at least, counter productive.

Here's what I've learned, though...  oil dissolves oil.  All those products I have used (since puberty!) to combat the effects of buildup from excess oil (which oil-stripping products produce), dead skin cells, bacteria, etc., only proved to exacerbate any problem I have ever had with blemishes, acne, blackheads, and whiteheads.

When you use products on your face that leave you feeling tight and dry (but it feels so clean, right?) it's actually stripping your skin of the natural oils it needs to lubricate, moisturize, heal and protect itself from environmental elements.  Your skin produces oil for a reason and to strip it away only makes it work overtime to produce more.

So...work with it instead of against it.

Your skin-care regiment needs two oils; caster oil and extra virgin olive oil - well, that's what I use and love.  I've also heard others have had great success with sunflower seed oil instead of the olive oil.  I'd say the caster oil is your main player.  It is powerfully healing and cleansing, and also has tremendous anti-inflammatory properties.  It's a thick, potent oil, though, so it needs to be diluted with the gentler oil to bring balance.  Over use of caster oil (or using it alone) could actually dry out your skin.  Cold-pressed vegetable oils, such as olive oil or sunflower seed oil, nurture and restore skin's suppleness with it's essential fatty acids, nutrients and vitamins.  When selecting an oil to pair with the castor oil, be sure to avoid mineral oils and refined oils, as they'll clog pores and promote build-up.  I'll keep referencing your companion oil as olive oil, since that's what I use.

Skin types can be as individualized as our personalties, so you'll want to test a few ratios of caster oil to olive oil to meet your personal needs.  Here's a good starting point:

Oily Skin:  30% castor oil to 70% olive oil
Moderate Skin: 20% castor oil to 80% olive oil
Dry Skin: 10% castor oil to 90% olive oil

I lean towards oily skin so I use 30/70 in the winter and a bit heavier on the castor oil in the summer... sometimes even 50/50.



Here's how I do it ~


  • Pour a quarter-size amount of mixed oil onto my finger tips.
  • Massage onto my dry skin for about 2 minutes, from my hairline (but don't get it in my hair!) all the way down to my neck.
  • Run a clean wash cloth under very hot water and ring out.
  • Lay over my face (careful not to burn myself) and let the hot steam work it's wonders opening my pores and drawing out the impurities. 
  • Wipe my face, then rinse the cloth and gently wipe again.
  • Pat dry.


I do this before bed.  In the winter time, I follow with a rich moisturizer (typically, my tallow balm).  In the summer months, I may not need extra moisturizing, as there is a bit of residual oil.  If I've spent much time in the sun, though, I'll follow with just a touch of coconut oil.

In the morning, all I need to do is splash my face with warm water and follow with a trace of moisturizing oil, usually coconut.  Really... just a trace, otherwise my skin could feel too slick beneath my face powder.  Coconut oil, while highly beneficial to skin, does not penetrate quickly.  I've recently heard great things about argan oil (light and quickly penetrates) which I've yet to try, but plan to soon.


So... are you intrigued?  Think you'll give it a go?  I'm thrilled with the results - you probably will find you love it, too.








Sharing on the Homeacre Hop, The Sunday Social, Clever Chicks Hop

3 comments:

Angela Parker said...

I have been reading about this method but I haven't tried it for myself. I've been using the my cloth washcloths for cleaning recently and have loved them too. Thanks for the post and linking up to the Sunday Social : )

Tracy said...

I can't wait to try this!
Than for sharing this with us.
Tracy
http://oursimplelife-sc.com

Kathi said...

I look forward to trying this! Thank you for sharing this at the HomeAcre Hop; I hope you'll join us again this Thursday.
Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead